1928Joseph’s Cross has been attracting visitors to the “Großer Auerberg” since 1834. The former wooden building was constructed by Karl Friedrich Schinkel but struck by lightning in 1880 and burned down almost entirely. In 1896, the new double cross was built as an iron construction. In 1928, the Princes of Stolberg-Stolberg built a hunter’s house half-way up the mountain – and used the remaining beams from the first Joseph’s Cross for its construction. The baronial “Jagdhaus Schindelbruch” gave the landscape name.
1950’sThe area around “Jagdhaus Schindelbruch” – which was, in the meantime, being used as a mountain guest house – became a vacation village for working people from factories in the region. S Simple vacation homes were built to complement the historical half-timbered house.
1970’sSchindelbruch had, by this time, become a popular vacation destination for the working people in the region. The old low rise buildings with limited capacity and comfort gave way to a segmented, three-level new building: the work holiday home Schindelbruch was erected.
1990’sAfter the Fall of the Wall the era of work holiday homes soon ended. The area was privatized and the main building was modified. The guest services at “Großer Auerberg” continued with the “Harzhotel in Schindelbruch”. Times were hard, and the owners changed several times. Over the years, the property became run down and was finally abandoned.
2003The “Jagd- und Forstgesellschaft Stolberg/Harz mbH” purchased the site. The new owner, Dr. Clemens Ritter von Kempski, decided to use the investment to create an ecological hotel business: only natural building materials were used in the renovation, the site’s own spring water was prepared and the cuisine focused on regional foods and seasonal offers.
2005In the lower level of the main building and below the restaurants’ terrace a panorama pool and a small spa area with sauna village were constructed. The house made its début as the “Wellness Vitality Hotel Schindelbruch”, focusing on close-to-nature offers for relaxation, fitness and health.
2008The hotel’s new philosophy “Discover. Enjoy. Preserve.” sets standards for future growth: as “Nature Resort Schindelbruch” the house commits itself to sustainable tourism. The new wing of the building on the north side was constructed in accordance with strict ecological criteria – a pellet heater among others – with rooms and suites, a huge festive hall, a bar with fire place, modern meeting rooms and a fitness center. The wellness area was also expanded and newly equipped with interiors.
2009While the pellet heater takes care of warmth in an environmentally-friendly way, the ecological commitment and the innovative hotels’ concept yield other fruits, too: the nature resort Schindelbruch became the first carbon-neutral hotel in central Germany. In the same year, the first climate day took place and in November 2009 the house was honored with the tourism award “Vorreiter” from the Federal State of Saxony-Anhalt.
2012The nature resort approaches perfection. The third wing becomes the new center – an airy lobby, comfortable lounges, big park terrace and additional rooms and suites. Gastronomy improves the indulgence-factor, too: the landscape of restaurants gets a new make-up, expands spatially and is enlarged by two little restaurants. Perfect room temperatures meanwhile come from a geothermal energy facility which is powered by an in-house photovoltaic system. The next award follows: Schindelbruch becomes the only hotel in Saxony-Anhalt with EMAS and Q3 certifications.
2013Directly next to the forest and the sauna village, a new highlight premiers in Schindelbruch: the bath house completes the wellness area. On three levels it shelters a swimming pool covering 115 m² and a world of sensual light and soundunder and above the water – heated by a heat pump system that uses waste heat from the kitchen! The open gallery lounge, several relaxation rooms and a huge sun terrace on tree top level invite you to relax. On the way to the main house an airy herbal spa garden is opened.
2014The new Schindelbruch has been developed over more than a decade of continual growth. The completion of the hotel park and the opening of the historic hunters’ houses mark another highlight. The half-timbered house becomes the garden café and grill restaurant “Jagdhaus Holzeule”. With its sunny terrace, it is located in the midst of the newly arranged park with its lake that hosts typical plants from the Harz region.