1928

1928

Joseph’s Cross has been attracting visitors to the »Großer Auerberg« since 1834. The former wooden building was constructed by Karl Friedrich Schinkel but struck by lightning in 1880 and burned down almost entirely. In 1896, the new double cross was built as an iron construction. In 1928, the Princes of Stolberg-Stolberg built a hunter’s house half-way up the mountain – and used the remaining beams from the first Joseph’s Cross for its construction. The baronial »Jagdhaus Schindelbruch« gave the landscape ist name.